Friday, June 5, 2009

Just wanted to share.

Since I have managed to get things organized and updated I wanted to share some of the additions that didn't make it onto my main wantlist but nonetheless represent some of the stuff I love to pickup from time to time.

First off, a card from one of my favorite sets of all-time:
While definitely not the most expensive card in the set, nor even the "best" player I have from it, how can I not love the horizontal cards from the 1952 Topps set. Really nice picture on this one and as you can see from the area near Virgils hands where the bat handle is, the damage is pretty much the main flaw which made this otherwise beautiful looking card nice and affordable for me.

This is really a set where there really isn't anything I don't like about it. The facsimile signature, the picture which resembles fine art and even the little series of stars that comprise the border around the name and aforementioned signature, this is a classic design, and pretty much the reason Topps decided to rip itself off with the successful series of Topps Heritage issues which continue to this day.

The second set of this heritage series of course was a remake of the subsequent 1953 Topps series, which is an appropriate segway into this:
Where 1952 Topps is obviously my favourite set, this ranks as a very close second. Simply beautiful cards with the large paintings, the bold solid border in the corner, containing the players name, position and team and a nice representation of the team logo all nicely placed out of the way of the main image which is really what we want to see with these cards. How could I not pick up this card for $15.

How could this be $15 you ask, well the back is basically torn off. As a result when a collector friend of mine showed me this one at a card show for $15 (or 10% of the BV at the time), I simply had to have it. The 10% rule is always a great guide in these situations, and with the front looking like this, I like this purchase just fine.

No comments: