Friday, February 16, 2007

Finally! It's here...

Needless to say this week has been not unlike Christmas in my early youth, filled with agonizing anticipation for the eventual payoff which I already knew would be worth the wait.

It seemed that fate would conspire to deny me for another long weekend, with the snow storm in the middle of the week slowing the mail down and with nothing coming in yesterday... however this post clearly indicates that after mocking me endlessly the mail gods have at last rewarded me for my reluctant patience. Before getting to that though...

Tuesday brought a second package to my mailbox courtesy of Father Pat Wattigny containing a dozen hits to my various lists including 6 1961's, a 1968, a 1970, a 1975 and 3 1974's, one of which was the Dave Winfield rookie. Very nice, thanks Father Pat.

So obviously between my last entry and this one we have quantity and quality. The final package of the week came on Friday and put the exclamation point on the quality portion of our program.

Yes indeed, my 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle finally arrived. It goes without saying but I am most pleased. This has long been my favorite Mantle, although the 53 and 52 Topps come a close second, but this one is one of the first ones I spent a lot of time looking at in the old full color price guide I received for Christmas when I first started collecting.

Obviously you can see that the Mick has taken a hole punch to the head for some reason, but this was part of the reason it was affordable. Beyond that though, this is probably one of the nicer poor condition 56 Mantle's you'll see.

For those interested, here is the back. I believe you can click on the image for a bigger version of the picture to get a better look:
So there you have it, quite the exciting week for me. In addition to the 80 hits from Monday's package the two other envelopes this week added another 13 hits, this in turn brings the progress at the end of this week to:

Cards in my Collection: 4,582
Total Cards needed: 17,936
Cards remaining to achieve goal: 13,354
Percentage Complete: 25.54%

No comments: